The Unbelievable Wind Controller!When it comes to wind control, Yamaha is king! Yamaha invented the category of wind controllers and the WX5 is innovative third-generation technology. This wind controller offers flexibility and parameter control to please even the tweakiest player!
Yamaha WX5 Wind MIDI Controller at a Glance:
- Reed-style mouthpiece for realistic sax emulations, plus recorder mouthpiece included
- Fully GM compatible, plus Yamaha XG and VL compatibility
- Four fingering styles for ease of use
The controller for almost any wind player!
Whether you play flute, sax, brass instrument, or whatever, the WX5's 16-key layout features the setup options to make playing a breeze. The WX5 can be set to any of three saxophone fingerings or flute to ensure comfy playing for any player.
Yamaha WX5 fingering options:
- Saxophone (a) Mode: Basically the same as saxophone fingering, except that the fingering remains the same in all octaves, and thus really simple to learn.
- Saxophone (b) Mode: This mode is similar to Saxophone (a), but with more trill key functions to facilitate rapid passages. This fingering is similar to that on the WX5's predecessor, the Yamaha WX11.
- Flute Mode: Similar to flute fingering, this mode is ideal for players who are familiar with flute fingering. Rather that continuous pitch bend in response to lip pressure, the pitch jumps up one octave when lip pressure is applied simulating the "overblow" octave shift on an acoustic flute.
- Saxophone (c) Mode: A variation of the Saxophone (a) fingering mode, this mode allows saxophone-type alternate fingerings. Although alternate fingerings produce the same note, they produce slight variations in pitch and timbre which can be used for musical effect.
A reed to bite!
The WX5 comes with a reed-emulating high-resolution wind/lip sensor to give you the power of expression you need. Bite down on the reed and change pitch, just like a genuine sax! In addition, the WX5 includes a recorder-style mouthpiece that works effectively in flute mode.
Fully GM, XG, and VL compatible
The WX5 is fully compatible with General MIDI (GM) instrument sets. For enhanced sound selection, pair the WX5 with any of Yamaha's XG series of expanded GM-soundset instruments. And finally, the Yamaha VL70-m Tone Generator is custom-made for the WX5, providing modeled voices that respond especially well to the WX5's controls.
MIDI connection plus battery power for convenience
You can connect your WX5 to any MIDI in using its built-in MIDI jack. When you use the VL70-m, an optional cable provides both MIDI and power to the WX5. Otherwise, you can run your WX5 on battery power or use an optional AC adapter.
Yamaha WX5 Wind MIDI Controller Features:
- MIDI and WX out onboard
- High resolution breath and lip sensors
- 16 key layout for sax compatibility
- Four fingering modes
- Pitch bend wheel (assignable)
- 2 mouthpieces - sax (with reed) and recorder (no reed)
- Sends program change and bank select
- XG, GS, and VL compatibility
- 4 hold modes
- Uses 6 AAA batteries, optional PA130 power supply, or power from VL70-m available
Yamaha WX5 Specs: Number of Keys 16 Aftertouch No Number of Performance Pads 0 Number of Encoders/Pots 0 Number of Sliders/Faders 0 Dedicated Transport Control No Other Controllers Pitch Bend Wheel System Requirements Mac No Requirements System Requirements PC No Requirements Pedal Inputs No Pedal Inputs MIDI I/O Out, WX Out (Power and MIDI) USB No Height 24" Width 2.44" Depth 2.76" Weight 1.45 lbs. Power Supply UM-4, AAA, R03 x 6, PA3 AC Adapter, WX Out Connector