Rackmountable Minimoog Performer!
See a GearNuts exclusive interview with Dr. Bob Moog!
The MiniMoog Voyager is available in a 19" Rack Mount Edition! The Rack Mount Edition (RME) is five units high and, with optional wood sides, doubles as a tabletop synth. Its backlit front panel includes all of the front panel controls of the Voyager (with the exception of the touch surface). All presets from the Voyager are useable in the Rack Mount Edition.
Moog Voyager RME at a Glance:
- The ultimate analog synth, now in a rack!
- Classic Moog oscillators, filters, and amplifiers
- MIDI I/O plus control voltage connectors
- New features and 7 banks of 128 presents (896) in v3.0
The ultimate analog synth, now in a rack!
The Minimoog Voyager RME is perhaps the ultimate monophonic analog performance synth. It incorporates virtually all of the sound resources and functions of the original Model D Minimoog, which was produced by Moog Music, Inc. from 1970 to 1982. The Voyager Rack has many more features, including MIDI IN and MIDI OUT implementation, lots of patching facilities, and a large number of new panel features.
Classic Moog oscillators, filters, and amplifiers
The Voyager RME's signal path starts with a bank of three wide-range, high-stability voltage controlled oscillators, one noise source, and one audio preamplifier for externally-applied audio signals. The sound modifiers are two 'Moog-style' lowpass filters and one VCA (Voltage Controlled Amplifier). Modulation sources are two ADSR (Attack Decay Sustain Release) envelope generators and one multi-waveform LFO (Low Frequency Oscillator).
MIDI I/O plus control voltage connectors
The Voyager RME's rear panel delivers all of the same input/output resources that are available on the Voyager via its MIDI IN, THRU, and OUT connectors, four audio in and Output jacks, and two accessory port connectors. The output accessory port connects the RME's 21 control and gate outputs to the forthcoming VX-351 Voyager CV Output Expander, while the Input accessory port connects the 18 control and gate ins to the VX-352 Voyager CV Input Expander.
V3.0 adds even more capability to the Voyager:
V3.0 extends the current single Bank of 128 Presets to 7 Banks of 128 Presets for a total of 896 user accessible presets. Of the 896 user accessible presets, 704 come pre-loaded with patches from Nigel Hopkins, Brian Kehew, Will Alexander, Bernie Worrell, Drew Newmann, Amos Gaynes, Steve Dunnington, Aron Magner, Chad Hugo, Darrell Diaz, Frank Lucas, Fred Wreck, Gabrial McNair, Geoffrey Keezer, Herbie Hancock, Khari Simmons, James Lumb, Jamie Muhoberac, Joseph Rivers, Neil Palmer, Printz Board, Randy Cantor, Rick Wakeman, Mark Kline, Zon Vern Pyles, Thomas Wolf.
The External Mixer knob (just right of the display panel) has a dual function that lets you rapidly change presets as opposed to continuously punching the cursor buttons.
- Lets you send either 7 or 14 bit resolution from the Mod Wheel.
- Optionally reduces the amount of MIDI data being sent from the Touch Surface.
These changes enable the Voyager to work better with older MIDI gear.
Moog Voyager RME Features:
- Three wide-range, high stability VCOs with continuously-variable waveforms.
- Two "Moog-style" lowpass-resonant filters with choice of two-pole or four-pole response
- Five-input mixer for combining the audio sources prior to filtering
- Two wide-range ADSR (Attack Decay Sustain Release) envelopes
- Filter Envelope sweeps the filter and is available for modulation shaping
- Volume Envelope shapes the overall volume
- Low Frequency Oscillator generates triangular, square, Sample & Hold, and smoothed Sample & Hold waveforms for use as modulating signals
- Modulation Busses Module selects sources, destinations, and shaping signals for the MOD WHEEL bus and the EXT PEDAL bus
- GLIDE varies the speed at which the keyboard voltage changes, from instantaneous to several seconds
- Lots of MIDI implementation capabilities