2U of Premium Tube Goodness for Your Rack!Manley's best seller! So, let's just get it over with: "Mu" means gain. Now you know. Now let's get on with what it'll do for you. The Manley Variable Mu works wonders on your tracks, coating guitars, drums, bass, and vocals in tube goodness - the kind of goodness that will make or break a track. Designed for stereo operation (but mono-friendly too!), the Variable Mu is a standout on the stereo bus, and it'll do fantastic things to drum submixes, too. While it's not a clone of the legendary Fairchild 670, it does share a similar limiting philosophy, imparting a special character on everything that passes through it.
So how does it do what it do? Part of the magic lies in the fact that the Variable Mu is the only true variable mu limiter currently being built in the world. Then there's the innards. At the heart of the peak reduction and compression is a 5670 variable mu dual triode. Without getting all science-y, the interaction between the tube and the control voltage is the cause for smooth gain changes. Therein lies the magic!
If you want to use the Variable Mu to add some real color to you tracks, turn up the input and turn down the output. What you'll get is warm, rich tube distortion. A true multi-purpose tool, the Variable Mu is great for recording, mixing, and mastering, delivering stunning results at every turn. If your sound is lacking, inject it with some Variable Mu. You won't be sorry!
Tubes Rule! That's the sentiment EveAnna Manley and Manley Labs screams from the mountain top. And judging from the way Manley Labs gear sounds, tubes could very well rule! All of Manley's gear is designed and crafted in Chino, CA, and nothing but premium components are used. The end result is some of the finest gear you can put in your rack. If you're serious about your sound, get Manley and hear what you've been missing!
Manley Variable Mu Compressor/Limiter Features at a Glance:
- Manley input & output transformers with pure nickel laminations in mu-metal case with flat frequency response
- 20Hz-25KHz frequency response
- Balanced Inputs & Outputs
- Fully differential all-tube circuitry using one each 5670, 5751, 7044, & 12AL5 per channel
- Independently regulated B+ and Heater supplies
- Includes HP Sidechain modification as standard
- Hard-wire Bypass switch
- Silent conductive plastic input attenuator
- Recovery 5 steps: 0.2s, 0.4s, 0.6s, 4sec., 8sec. (Not a 12-step recovery)
- Variable Attack: 25msec-70msec
- Continuously variable Threshold
- Switch for Limit or Compress modes
- Front panel mounted Meter Adjust
- Limit (4:1 to 20:1) or Compress (1.5:1)
- Large Illuminated Sifam Meters
- Stereo Link Switch
- Maximum gain: 35 dB
- <0.1% THD @ 1KHz Noise floor: -85dB typical
- Max. output +30dBm (26Vrms) 26dB Headroom
- Power consumption (120/240VAC): 80 watts
- Dimensions: 19" x 3 1/2" x 10" (occupies 2U)
- Shipping weight: 23 lbs.