Unleash Your Bass InstinctsRoland's VB-99 is the follow-up to the hugely popular V-Bass system, this reincarnated version continues the amazing sound of its predecessor while upping the ante when it comes to sound-shaping capabilities. Roland packages the power of their synths into the VB-99 by adding D-Beam and a ribbon controller to the mix, which is amazing for "hands-on" control over your effects. Made for the modern studio world, useful tools such as a direct out and USB connectivity are made into the VB-99.
Roland VB-99 at a Glance:
- Rocking expressions
- Easy-to-get interface
- Made for modern recording setups
- Bassist-friendly features
- Dual independent signal paths
Dual independent signal paths
The VB-99 sports dual independent signal paths, which greatly expands the sonic possibilities of this rig. The two paths can be assigned to two distinct sounds (patches), and mixed and layered as desired. Sounds can be blended with one knob, and even split or switched via playing dynamics. Imagine setting up a patch in which an electric bass morphs into a synth sound when you really dig in, or assigning an overdriven amp sound to your low B and E strings, and a lush, string-type sound to your A, D and G strings. The soundscapes are almost endless - and it's only possible with the VB-99 and its optional companion GK-3B pickup (which installs on most standard steel-string basses).
In addition to the immense number of patches - including everything from classic and modern basses, to acoustic instruments, and many amps and effects - the VB-99 offers greater expressive possibilities thanks to a D BEAM Controller, a Ribbon Controller, and String Modeling. The assignable D BEAM controller allows a bassist to control his sound through hand gestures through an infrared beam of light. It's a incredible way to generate inspiring tones and wow an audience. The built-in Ribbon controller is much like those found on keyboard synthesizers is perfect for tweaking a patch or getting just the right filter setting on a bass synth sound. V-LINK is Roland's proprietary format for controlling external video toys, so visionary bassists can make soundscapes beyond just the music. String Modeling is new to the VB-99, enabling you to convert "Roundwound" strings to "Flatwound" or "Black Nylon" for even more auditory options.
Naturally, all this power would mean nothing if it wasn't supremely simple to use. The VB-99 incorporates a large, bright 240 x 64 dot LCD, with tons of helpful graphics. There are dedicated knobs and buttons for all major functions. You can go from tweaking an amp model to adjusting global settings within seconds.
The VB-99's "bassist-friendly" features include a Bass Direct input/output, for sending your normal bass out unchanged through the VB-99 - or blending it with the built-in sounds as desired. There's also an XLR Out with ground lift switch for "going direct," either live or in the studio. Speaking of live, the VB-99 can be controlled with an optional foot controller, like the Roland FC-300, and it can be conveniently rack-mounted using an optional adapter.
Made for modern recording setups
With the VB-99's built-in USB audio/MIDI streaming capability, modern musicians can take full advantage of computer-based setups. Just connect one Killer Cables, Amazing Price! from the back of the V-Bass straight to your Mac or PC and trigger other sounds (via MIDI) or record your V-Bass (via USB audio) using your DAW software and plug-ins (sold separately). Roland's free downloadable V-Bass editing software lets you edit and save V-Bass sounds right from your computer.
Roland VB-99 Features:
- Dual independent signal paths
- Dozens of COSM models, including coveted classic and modern basses, synth basses, and even electric guitar models
- Innovative new String Modeling (apply virtual flat wound, round wound, black nylon, etc.)
- 12 COSM preamplifier models and six speaker models
- 43 strong effect types, six compressor types
- D BEAM, Ribbon, and V-LINK realtime controller
- 24 bits + AF method
- DA Conversion: 24 bits
- Sampling Frequency: 44.1 kHz
- Program Memories: 400: 200 (User) + 200 (Preset)
- D BEAM: D BEAM Controller, Pitch button, Filter button, Assignable button
- Ribbon Controller: Ribbon Controller, Pitch button, Filter button, Assignable button
- Display: backlit 240 x 64 dots graphic LCD
- GK IN connector (13-pin DIN type)
- Bass In jack (1/4" phone type)
- Bass Output jack (1/4" phone type)
- Sub Out jacks x 2 (L, R) (XLR type)
- Main Out jacks x 2 (L/MONO, R) (1/4" phone type)
- Phones jack (Stereo 1/4" phone type)
- Digital Out jack (Coaxial type, meets IEC60958-3)
- Exp Pedal jack (1/4" Tip-ring-sleeve phone type)
- CTL 3,4 jack (1/4" Tip-ring-sleeve phone type)
- USB connector (B type)
- RRC2 IN connector (RJ45 type)
- MIDI connectors x 2 (IN, OUT) (5-pin DIN type)