Perfect for Mobile Recording!If you're planning to do mobile recording, you need an interface that can hang. And the MOTU Traveler-mk3 was MADE TO HANG. Not an exaggeration... they put that "Traveler" in the name for good reason. First up, the MOTU Traveler-mk3 can be 100% powered over FireWire. All you need is your laptop and this blue-clad baby and you're sweet for recording. Of course, if you need your interface to hang for some looooong session - say, when you're outside away from wall power - you can connect it to a standard field battery pack. That's why audio guys & gals who do audio for video love the Traveler-mk3. But there's more going on here.
Even if you're not planning to go mobile, the Traveler-mk3 may be all the interface you need for your home or pro studio. For starters, it has four microphone preamplifiers built in. That's enough for most recording needs already. And since there are tons of connections on the back, you know you'll be set to hook up other preamps to fill bigger needs. All in all, you can get 28-in/38-out performance with the Traveler-mk3... and that's HUGE.
To slip back to the portable side of things, you should know that the Traveler-mk3 is extremely lightweight. It weighs just 3.8 pounds. Plus it's sized cleverly too... at 14.75" wide and 9" deep, it'll fit nicely underneath any 15" laptop. It'll also slide into a backpack or computer bag. Of course, rack ears are included if you want to rack it up - just keep in mind that your power options (battery pack/FireWire/DC) and MIDI I/O connections are mounted on the side panel.
You can read about the other options down below, if you want. Just know you've got plenty of it. Four XLR/TRS "combo" mic inputs, two ADAT banks, S/PDIF, eight outputs, and more. It all adds up to plenty of options. But what we really want to tell you about now is something cool that you can't see just by looking at the box. And that's the CueMix FX feature. Essentially, there's DSP power built into the MOTU Traveler-mk3. And with it, you can control a 28-input/16-bus mixer (with built-in reverb, EQ, and compression processing, to boot), all without weighing down your computer and stealing processing power. You'll love using CueMix and its easy-to-use software control panel to create monitor mixes. You can make the monitor mixes wet (with effects) while you record them dry. Or you can even record with the built-in effects. It's just handy.
Very long story short, if you're doing recording - out and about or at home - the MOTU Traveler-mk3 delivers the real-world features and connectivity that modern recording demands. It's a powerful interface, offered at a nice price, and by a very well-respected company.
MOTU Traveler-mk3 FireWire Audio Interface Features at a Glance:
- Compact size (14.75 x 9 inches)
- Powered via FireWire
- Optional battery power via standard field battery pack (sold separately)
- 28 inputs / 30 outputs (at 44.1/48kHz)
- Four combo jacks provide hi-Z 1/4" guitar input or lo-Z XLR mic input with phantom power and pad
- Clip protection - Up to +12dB over zero
- Individual 48V phantom power on each mic input
- Four 24-bit 192kHz analog inputs and eight analog outputs on balanced/unbalanced 1/4" TRS jacks
- Digital Precision Trim - adjust input gain in 1dB increments on all analog inputs (mic/guitar inputs + quarter-inch TRS inputs). Can save and recall multiple trim setups
- High-resolution recording - Up to 192kHz
- Flexible optical I/O - 16 channels of ADAT lightpipe, 8 channels of SMUX (96kHz) or two pairs of stereo TOSLink. Mix and match formats between the two banks.
- CueMix FX - flexible 28-input/16-bus mixer with onboard DSP effects, including classic reverb with sends/returns, plus modeled EQ and vintage compression on every input and output.
- Advanced audio signal analysis - CueMix FX software provides real-time FFT and spectrogram "waterfall" displays for visual analysis of individual signals and entire mixes.
- Front-panel control - access your entire mix, or any Traveler-mk3 setting, directly from the front panel.
- Functions as a standalone mixer
- Included DC power adapter
- Back-lit LCD.
- Sample-accurate MIDI
- Expandable - add additional interfaces for more I/O as your needs grow.
- Eight 24-bit 192kHz outputs on balanced/unbalanced 1/4" TRS jacks.
- Phone jack with front panel volume control
- Stereo 24-bit 96kHz AES/EBU in/out
- Stereo 24-bit 96kHz S/PDIF in/out
- Word clock in and out
- Built-in SMPTE time code sync - resolves to and generates time code
- Plug-and-play operation with your Mac or PC via FireWire
- Includes drivers for Mac OS X and Windows XP/Vista, including ASIO, WDM, Core Audio, and Core MIDI
- Supports all popular Mac and Windows audio software
- Includes AudioDesk 3 full-featured sample-accurate workstation software for the Mac OS X with recording, editing, mixing, real-time 32-bit effects processing & sample-accurate sync
- Two FireWire 400 ports allow for daisy-chaining without a hub. Works with a FireWire 800 connection via a simple adapter or FW400-to-800 cable.
- Front-panel volume control for monitoring. Stereo, Quad, 5.1, 7.1 and user-defined surround monitoring setups available.
- Front-panel meters or activity LEDs for all analog, digital and MIDI I/O, plus SMPTE sync, tach and lock LEDs.
- Comprehensive level-metering - Front panel LCD provides vertical meters for entire banks (8 channels at once) or horizontal long-throw metering for individual channels. Meter banks are quickly accessible via the dedicated METERS rotary encoder on the front panel.
- Dedicated front-panel clock status LEDs