Put Tons of Recording Versatility on Your Desktop!
As far as I/O goes, the Track16 has you totally covered. If it's just you and a friend or a client or whatever, then the onboard analog I/O should prove more than sufficient. A pair of MOTU's amazing mic preamps provide you with low-noise/high-headroom performance - you'll be blown away by the sound! What's more, you get a pair of dedicated instrument inputs (no transformer noise here) so you can track guitar and bass direct. Add to that four line-level inputs, and you've got enough ins to track vocals, guitar, bass, keys, and a drum machine in a single take. Need more I/O? Problem solved - just get yourself an 8-channel mic per with ADAT output, and hook that puppy up!
So far, we've just touched on the basics of the MOTU Track16 desktop interface. But there's a lot more to it than just 16 inputs and 14 outputs. For one thing, you might be wondering how MOTU packed so much I/O into such a little box. That's because they put all of the analog connections on a single handy breakout cable, which comes included. That freed up a lot of extra space for a top-mounted control panel. But even the controls are super cool. There's just one knob, but a series of buttons let you select what the knob controls. So, with the push of a button, you can control the input gain of mic pre 1, and then press another button and adjust the headphone output volume. It's that simple.
Under the hood, the Track16 desktop interface gets even cooler still. That's because, MOTU hooked up the Track16 with their CueMix DSP-based signal-routing and effects circuitry. Using a simple interface application on your Mac or PC computer, CueMix FX lets you create up to eight independent output mix busses and add effects and processors such as reverb, EQ, and compression. And best of all, it all happens before your incoming signal hits your computer, let alone you DAW. That means no more latency issues - how cool is that!?
MOTU Track16 Desktop Recording Interface Features at a Glance:
- This personal desktop 16-in/14-out desktop recording interface gives you all of the I/O and advanced mixing options you need to make professional-quality recordings
- Slim desktop form factor keeps your work surface clear and your controls handy
- Hybrid high-speed USB 2.0 and FireWire 400 connectivity
- FireWire 400 supplies bus power (AC power supply provided for USB 2.0 operation)
- Supports up to full 24-bit/192kHz HD audio
- All analog I/O connects via a single DB-25 breakout cable for maximum versatility
- 2 x MOTU microphone preamplifiers provide you with low-noise, high-headroom performance
- Each mic pre features switchable +48V phantom power and a switchable -20dB pad
- 2 x dedicated instrument inputs allow you to record guitar and bass direct
- 4 x line-level inputs (in 2 x stereo pairs) are perfect for keyboards, drum machines, and outboard gear
- Top-panel controls provide one-touch control over all input and output levels
- CueMix FX lets you assign a separate pre-computer input mix to each output pair including the main outputs, the line outputs, the headphone outputs, 4 x optical pairs, and the return bus
- CueMix FX also lets you apply effects and processing to your input channels including Classic Reverb, a 7-band British style parametric EQ, a conventional compressor, and the Leveler (an accurate model of the legendary LA-2A optical compressor)
- Precision Digital Trim technology on all inputs provides adjustments in approximately 1/4dB increments, which you can store and recall later
- 8-bus mixer also functions in standalone mode
- Time code support directly resolves to or generates time code via any quarter-inch input or output, without the need for an extra synchronizer
- Direct Digital Synthesis DSP-driven phase lock engine and internal clock source produces imperceptibly low jitter characteristics (below the noise floor), even when the Track16 is resolved to an external clock source via SMPTE time code
- DC-coupled TRS outputs can be used with MOTU's Volta (sold separately) to manipulate and sequence voltage-controlled modular synthesizers from a host DAW
- Mac and PC compatible on both 32-bit and 64-bit platforms