British Distortion Beast!The Tonebone Hot British sweeps you from Liverpool to London, from the sound of a 4x12 double stack to the power-chord mayhem of metal thrashing over barbed wire. Tube distortion for those that want extreme.
Radial Tonebone Hot British at a Glance:
- High and low EQ, Mid-Boost, 3-position voicing switch and contour control.
- Drive and level controls.
- Distortion pedal based on high-gain amp designs.
From fat hot-wired Marshall tones to the gigantic scooped out mid sounds, the Hot British is blistering brute force extraordinaire! Based on high-gain amp designs, the Hot British is tailored to pull out ultra-rich harmonics and full-on saturated tube settings without the mud or noise that is typical with other pedals. The intense EQ settings truly allow the player to dial in to the type of tones that make everything from chunky rhythms to sizzling lead solos. Best of all, even when pushing the Tonebone Hot British beyond the limits, the natural dynamics and feel of the player still shines through.
Drive and Level Controls
The Hot British design follows the way a guitar amp works whereby the in DRIVE is akin to the in channel volume, while the LEVEL control acts more like a master volume control.
The DRIVE control has overall in gain to the distortion circuit. When used in conjunction with the EQ controls, the Hot British easily allows one to emulate the rhythm tones reminiscent of ZZ-Top, Metallica, Megadeath and Soundgarden. For soloing, the wailing tones popularized by players like Eddie Van Halen, Richie Blackmore, Yngwie Malmsteen, and Randy Rhodes are also easily attained.
Equalization and Tonal Structure
The Tonebone Hot British employs active post-distortion equalization for max flexibility. Tone shaping is performed with three controls and three switches thus allowing the guitarist to dial in the type of tonal structure that may be desired.
HIGH and LOW equalization are extremely active providing up to 15dB of gain control. These work in conjunction with the TOP-END, MID-BOOST and VOICING controls. Overall shaping begins with the TOP-END control with choice of Dark, Normal or Bright settings, which are used to compensate for the tonal characteristics of the amp.
The MID-BOOST switch is used to fatten-up single coil pick-ups or to add 'meat' to the tone for more cut during soloing. The Hot British mid-range frequencies have been carefully selected to work with popular amps like Twins and Marshalls. These settings are extremely effective at compensating for 'clean' oriented channels on classic tube amps.
The three-position VOICING switch works with the CONTOUR control for radical souped-up tones. The FAT position develops massive blistering solo tones and the cut-through power to get past the noise when you have to. The V or 'scoop' position is used to cut the mids while allowing the lower and upper harmonics to remain, creating gigantic chunky rhythms when building a wall of sound with a solid foundation. Big.
Radial Tonebone Hot British Features:
- LEVEL control: Used to balance the output level between the input drive without altering any of the tonal characteristics. Works somewhat like a master volume on an amp.
- HIGH & LOW controls: Post distortion active tone controls that boost or cut from 12 o'clock position. Low: +/- 14.5 db @ 100Hz; High: +/- 10 db @ 4.3kHz.
- CONTOUR control: Used in conjunction with the VOICING selector switch, the passive contour control dials in the mid-center frequency for either cut in the V' position or boost in the FAT position.
- DRIVE control: Used in conjunction with the drive gain switch, drive is used to adjust the overall amount of gain to the overdrive circuit.
- TOP END switch: Switch sets the overall tonal character of the Hot British to best match the amp and it's settings. Brighter amps are normally compensated with darker settings. Bright: Boosts +6dB @ 10kHz; Flat: No boost; Dark: Cuts -6dB @ 1.8kHz.
- VOICING switch: Three position switch allows the user to jump to chunky V style scooped rhythms or gigantic solos in the FAT position. Fat: Mid boost - passive filter; Bypass: Flat Scooped: Mid cut - passive filer.
- MID BOOST switch: Used to fatten up the sound for more cut and sustain during solos. Also, will fatten up the sound of single coil pick-ups. High: Boosts +12dB @ 620Hz; Medium: Boosts +6dB @ 390Hz; Bypass: No boost.
- Tube: Standard 12AX7 vacuum tube inside is used in distortion stage to accentuate upper harmonics and richness.
- Distortion: Proprietary tube hybrid distortion circuit. Wide range of distortion settings may be derived.
- Footswitch: True by-pass with red in/out status LED.
- Power Supply: 15VDC adapter (110V standard - export models available).
- Construction: 14 gauge steel construction with baked enamel coat.
- Standard package: Includes power supply, rubber stick-on feet, owner's manual.