A 4-in-1 Wonder!
Let's break this one down into its four functions. First up, it's a very slick standalone recorder. Just pop in an SD card (works with up to massive 32GB cards), then push "record" - that simple. Of course, you can plug your own mics and gear into the eight mic inputs, so you can get a more defined sound of everybody/everything you're tracking. At that point, you can either... 1. connect it to your computer via USB to transfer the tracks, 2. use the 100 awesome built-in effects to get a good mix right then and there, or 3. record more tracks... (you can record 8 at once and play back 24).
Decided to connect the R24 to your computer? You've got two options. As mentioned above, you can do that to transfer the stuff you recorded on SD. The R24 comes with Cubase LE4 recording software, so you can just use that to clean up, edit, or whatever. Plus, if you have gear connected to the R24, you can use it just like a regular USB interface. That way you can overdub on the stuff you already recorded, or build up your songs 100% in the studio. Can't beat that, really. The R24 works with Macs and PCs, by the way, so if you've got to work at a buddy's house from time to time, you're covered.
This powerful sucker also works as a control surface for your DAW. You can use the faders on there to work on a real-deal mix in your software - definitely beats trying to grab tiny little faders with your mouse. You'll have a good sound in no time. Finally, the sleek R24 has a built-in pad sampler, letting you build your beats for your tunes.
So yeah, that's it. Really great price for everything the R24 has going for it... regular SD recorder (like your old, easy-to-use 4-track or 8-track, you know), then it's a USB interface, then it's a control surface, then it's a pad sampler.... you get where we're going. Just get it.
Zoom R24 Multitrack Recorder Features at a Glance:
- Over 100 studio-quality effects including guitar amp models and mastering effects
- Records on up to 32GB SDHC cards for maximum recording time
- 8 balanced XLR-1/4-inch combination inputs
- Records in WAV 48kHz/44.1kHz at 16-bit or 24-bit
- Easily viewable 4-segment LED meter bridge
- 6-channel simultaneous 48V phantom-power supply capability
- Over 4 hours of operation using 6 AA alkaline batteries (AC adapter included)
- Sync two R24s via USB for 16 tracks of simultaneous recording
- High-definition 24-bit/96kHz recording capability using digital audio software
- 8 in / 2 out (8 x 2) via USB
- Full mixing and transport controls for Cubase, Logic, SONAR, and more!
- USB Control Surface uses Mackie Control emulation
- Pad sampler with 24 voices (8 pads x 3 banks)
- Loop-based audio sequencer for music creation