8-channel DI, and Totally Affordable!The ProD8 is a high-density rackmountable 8-channel direct box that is specifically designed to interface keyboards and pre-recorded backing tracks to the PA rig with redundant ins for live performance back-up. The ProD8's in panel is equipped with two A-B 1/4" inputs per DI channel for main and back-up sources, throughput for personal monitoring and an effects loop that allows both A-B sources to share the same effects for each channel. The out panel features a XLR connector, -15dB in pad selector and ground lift witch. A 180 degree polarity reverse switch is internally mounted and factory set with pin 2 hot.
Completely passive, the ProD8 employs eight custom wound Radial transformers that are linear from 20Hz to 18kHz and able to withstand highly dynamic levels from sources such as digital samplers and drum machines without flinching. To reduce interference from outside magnetic fields, the transformers are equipped with a mu-metal-nickel outer shield thus reducing phase distortion to an absolute minimum. For greater rig setup flexibility, the Radial ProD8 features a reversible set of rack ears that allows the1/4" in panel or the XLR out panels to be position at the front or back, depending on the rig engineers preference.
Raidal ProD8 at a Glance:
- Custom isolation transformer eliminates noise
- Made like a tank
- Really simple to use
- 8 channels of full range passive direct boxes
Passive vs. Active DI
The Radial ProD8 ais a full range passive direct box. Active direct boxes employ electronic circuits to change the impedance from hi-Z to lo-Z and balance the signal. Passive DI's employ a brain-dead really simple passive transformer to do the work. Active DI's require batteries, 48V phantom-power or external power supplies to power their circuits. Passive transformer-equipped direct boxes do not require any power to hit the stage their task. The advantage of a transformer over typical active circuits can be summarized as "a awesome device to reduce rig noise" in a sound rig. to accomplish the task of noise elimination, the Radial ProD8 features custom transformers.
Custom Isolation Transformer
The Radial ProD8 is equipped with custom made audio transformers, which provide exceptional signal handling without saturation. More importanly, the ProD8's custom transforers with extremely low phase distortion in the critical bass and mid regions. The ProD8's transformer has 100% isolation to eliminate hum and noise causing ground loops while maintaining signal integrity. Inside the ProD8 you'll also find isolated XLR connectors to eliminate chassis ground potential and a military spec PC board with full surface ground plane to reduce susceptibility to RF noise. The result is exceptional clarity and definition at an stunning price point.
Really Really simple to Use
The best feature of the ProD8 is 'plug & play' ease of use. All you do is connect the instrument to the 1/4" ins, the 1/4" through jacks to the stage amplifier(s) or mixer and the XLR outputs to the mixing console and you are done. Any distortion? Hit the -15dB pad. Any noise? Just depress the ground lift switch. You will find that with acoustic guitars and basses, the natural tone of the instrument will shine through with a smooth and musical rendering. For electrically powered devices such as keyboards, the ProD8 will immediately eliminate troublesome ground loops while delivering solid dynamics with a full rich sound.
Radial ProD8 Features:
- 8-channels of Full range passive direct boxes.
- Isolation transformer eliminates noise.
- Totally low harmonic and phase distortion.
- Ideal for live sound and studio.
- Isolated XLR connectors eliminate chassis ground potential.
- Custom audio transformer on input provides 100% isolation to eliminate hum and noise causing ground loops while maintaining signal integrity.
- High grade switches - long life, high cycle for reliable performance.
- -15dB pad reduces the level going in from loud sources that could overload the circuit and cause distortion.
- Balanced male XLR out connector, AES standard with pin-1 ground and pin-2 hot.
- Lift switches lift the ground to pin-1 on all channels.
- Reversible set of rack ears that allows the1/4" input panel or the XLR output panels to be position at the front or back, depending on the system engineers preference.