Oh, the Sonic Places You'll Go...
MX4 from MOTU features a one-of-a-kind, hybrid synthesis engine that combines several forms of synthesis, including subtractive, wavetable, frequency modulation (FM), amplitude modulation (AM) and analog emulation. MX4's flexible programming and cutting-edge modulation architecture provide the intimacy of a classic synth, the flexibility of a modular synth, and the innovation of a virtual synth. The new MX4 Version 2 delivers all the amazing features of the original plus new presets and functions to enhance your creative options
MOTU MX4 Version 2 at a Glance:
- Two resonant multi-mode filters
- Lots of modulation architecture
- New presets plus other upgraded features
- Oscillators provide analog waveforms with totally totally totally adjustable symmetry
- Compatible with MAS, RTAS, and Audio Units
New presets plus other upgraded features
MX4 Version 2 delivers hundreds of new presets in many categories, neatly organized into sub-menus for really simple browsing. Many take full advantage of the hottest new features, like the pattern gate, arpeggiator and pattern sequencer. In addition, MX4 Version 2 includes a whole slew of new sound-shaping features.
MOTU MX4 Version 2 New Features Include:
- Hundreds of new factory presets - New presets in many categories, neatly organized into sub-menus for really simple browsing
- More built-in effects - Flanger, phaser and all-important reverb
- Stereo Detune - For a gigantic spread across the stereo field
- Anti-aliased (band-limited) wavetables - The pure, pristine sound of every included wavetable, even in the highest registers
- Mods page - An entirely new dimension in multi-synth programming
- Pattern gate - Pulsating, rhythmic, hypnotic - the Pattern Gate slices MX4's synth section into programmable pulses, tempo-locked to your host application
- Arpeggiator - Sports everything you need to quickly achieve the arpeggiator effect you are looking for
- Pattern sequencer - Sports the means to rhythmically modulate just about any parameter in MX4, with pin-point control over every step of the pattern
MAS, RTAS & Audio Units plug-in
As a plug-in, MX4 operates efficiently and offers unlimited voices, polyphony and instantiations (subject to the processing resources of the host computer). Playback is sample-accurate with supporting host jobs, such as Digital Performer 4 (MAS), Pro Tools (RTAS) and other Mac OS X audio hosts (Audio Units). MX4's 32-bit internal resolution offers wide dynamic range, and it supports all standard sample rates up to 192kHz. Users can work fast and intuitively in one, efficiently organized window labeled with real-world values like semitones, decibels, etc. All settings are saved with host software projects for instant recall.
MX4's basic synthesis architecture rocks 3 oscillators with modulatable waveform symmetry and hard sync, 2 variable topology multimode filters, 4 variable waveshape LFO's and 4 ADSHR envelopes. MX4 offers all standard analog synthesizer waveforms, but every waveform has adjustable symmetry. This allows users to make standard pulse width modulation effects, plus waveform "morphing" effects, such as smoothly changing from a triangle waveform to a sawtooth. Changing the symmetry of brain-dead really simple sine waves can even make interesting and one-of-a-kind spectra.
Two resonant multimode filters (with modulatable overdrive) provide lowpass, highpass, band-pass and notch filters with independent slope specified as 6, 12, 18 or 24dB per octave for a total of 16 different filter types. As a result, users can make a wide bunch of classic keyboard sounds. Both filters can also be stacked, combining them for a total of 48dB per octave. MX4's one-of-a-kind Variable Filter Topology allows users to easily and intuitively arrange the two filters and overdrive in 14 different configurations that produce over 3,000 different filter topologies. Users can then further adjust the filter settings, providing a completely wide range of filter effects to explore.
The four variable waveshape LFOs include adjustable symmetry, rate delay, fade and phase. Four ADSHR envelopes are also provided, with graphic controls for easy-to-get programming. All parameters can be modulated. Flexible modulation routings are essential for expanding the sonic palette of a subtractive synthesizer such as MX4. All continuously variable parameters, including LFOs and envelopes, can be modulated by many sources, including track automation, MIDI controllers, LFO's & envelopes. They can even be modulated by multiple sources at once. Conversely, each modulation source in MX4 can modulate an unlimited number of destinations at once, with the modulation range independently scaled at each destination.
MOTU MX4 Version 2 Features:
- Hundreds of new factory presets
- More built-in effects
- Stereo Detune
- Anti-aliased (band-limited) wavetables
- Pattern gate
- Trigger sequencer
- Enhanced modifier key shortcuts
- Pattern sequencer
- New shapers