Super-clean Pre!Benchmark designed the MPA1 to bring you two extremely transparent channels of audio. It's ideal for use with stereo pairs, ribbon microphones - and any application where you demand purity from your microphone preamplifier. The MPA1's one-of-a-kind stepped-input control lets you adjust gain in 38 steps, so you can adjust each of the two preamplifiers in the same way. Each step offers up 2dB, for a healthy total of 74dB of gain. And, for critical instrument miking jobs, you can also expect excellent low-end phase accuracy, with Benchmark's MPA1.
Benchmark MPA1 2-channel Microphone Preamplifier at a Glance:
- Carefully designed for purity and transparency
- Exceptional, phase-accurate bass performance
- Sophisticated phantom power protection
- 38-position gain control for repeatable results
Carefully designed for purity and transparency
Benchmark engineered the MPA1 with transparency and purity in mind - its two channels are perfect for critical stereo-miking jobs. Built-in, the input stage features 29dBu of high-voltage headroom, plus single-stage gain control, to maximize the signal-to-noise ratio. To achieve this superb noise performance across the entire gain range, Benchmark uses precision-matched, low-noise, transistor quad-arrays, plus a servo-controlled circuit to minimize DC-offset and maximize headroom.
Exceptional, phase-accurate bass performance
When you need accurate bass performance, you can depend on Benchmark's MPA1 microphone preamplifier. It features a special dual-capacitor AC-coupling design, which defeats the limits of single-capacitor AC-coupling, ultimately giving you an exceptionally low corner-frequency with excellent subsonic phase accuracy.
38-position gain control for repeatable results
The Benchmark MPA1 features a one-of-a-kind gain control circuit. It features a 38-position, switched-resistor ladder - for repeatable performance - that's set up in a continuously rotation orientation via relay control. Each step offers 2dB of gain, taking you from 0dB to 74dB of gain, without attentuation. It features an inter-channel gain precision of +/- .03dB, so you can count on the MPA1 for matched preamplification from channel to channel.
Sophisticated phantom power protection
Benchmark equipped the MPA1 with protection from phantom power surges, via an ultra-fast, multi-stage protection circuit. This circuit takes advantage of the high-speed capabilities of low-capacitance Schotky diodes and the high-current capabilities of TVS diodes, to absorb the phantom power surges caused by shorts and plugging/unplugged microphones when phantom power is engaged. The circuit is pre-biased, as well, so it's isolated from the circuit when used normally, but activated if a surge occurs.
Benchmark 2-channel MPA1 Microphone Preamplifier Features:
- 38-position discrete linear gain switching (2dB / step)
- Automatic gain-range switching with LED range-indicators
- 0-74dB total gain range
- Selectable 40Hz high-pass filter (relay controlled - no audio through switches)
- Selectable polarity invert (relay controlled - no audio through switches)
- Independently selectable +48V phantom power
- HPA2 - Benchmark's signature high-current, 0-Ohm headphone amp
- 4-segment, precision LED meters (calibration-free)
- Recessed phantom switch to prevent accidental switching
- Phantom-power disable jumper for dedicated ribbon microphone operation
- Phantom-protection circuitry prevents damage from phantom-power surges
- Internal, toroidal linear power supply
- Excellent gold Neutrik connectors
- Max input: +29 dBu
- Max output: +29 dBu
- Ultra-low noise/distortion: (THD+N @ 22dB Gain 10Hz-20kHz = 0.00045%)
- RF-immunity over a wide bandwidth (500kHz)
- Designed, made, and tested in Syracuse, New York, USA