Make Beats with Your Computer the Right WayWhy get an Akai Professional LPD8? Here's the deal: hand-written beats are lame. Everyone knows that — which is the MPC series earned its legendary status in hip-hop and electronic music culture. But the glory days of the MPC are behind us, and while there are still some models out there (not to mention a few hold outs who won't look twice at a computer for fear it might swallow their souls), most of us traded in our MPCs for laptops years ago.
Now, just because you got yourself a laptop is no excuse to start dropping in your beats with a mouse. Akai Professional has the answer. The LPD8 USB controller has eight MPC-style pads. Yeah, there are other companies making pad controllers, but no one knows how to make pads like Akai Professional. You want something affordable that gives you the feel of an MPC so you can make beats on your computer, then you want an LPD8.
The LPD8 is 13" long, just about the same as the width of your laptop, and small enough to sit right in front of your keyboard. It's light too, so you can comfortably slip it in your laptop case and have it whenever you need it. The only thing that's different about the LPD8's pads and the MPC's in that the LPD8's are better. Yeah, that's right. You see, the LPD8's pads have an edge that glows orange when you hit them, and while that does let you know what pad you just hit (which you probably already know anyway) it looks pretty cool when if you perform live. And the LPD8 has eight knobs too, so you can get your hands on your music and off your mouse.
Akai Professional LPD8 USB Pad Controller Features at a Glance:
- USB-MIDI pad controller works with virtually all audio software
- Eight backlit, velocity-sensitive pads feel like MPC pads because they are
- Eight Q-Link knobs control almost any parameter in software
- Plug-and-play USB connection for Mac and PC means no drivers and no hassles
- Small enough to fit in a backpack, laptop bag, and right in front of your keyboard where you want it
- Four programmable memory banks
- Comes with editor software for Mac and PC
- USB bus powered — no additional power cable needed