Surf's Up, Dude!The Fender American Classic '62 Jaguar is the offspring of the Jazzmaster. It paired brighter pickups with a mellow, short 24" scale length. A trio of sliding pickup selector switches, rotary volume wheels on the upper bout, and chrome hardware and tremolo lock, are distinctive Jaguar traits. The '62 Jaguar also sports a wacky and removable Fender Mute built-in string-damping device created with surf bands in mind. If you're looking for a Fender guitar with all the quality of a Strat or Tele, but with its own one-of-a-kind blend of sounds and features, the American Classic '62 Jaguar might be just what the doctor ordered!
Fender Jaguar at a Glance:
- Nitro-cellulose lacquer finish in sunburst and original custom colors
- Two single coil pickups with special "Lead" and "Rhythm" Circuitry
- Distinctive offset-waist body shape with separate bridge and floating vibrato
- 24-inch "short scale" maple neck with rosewood fretboard and larger headstock
One-of-a-kind Fender Style
Fender guitars of the late '50s and early '60s borrowed a lot from the automobile designs of the times, which meant lots of chrome and lines that were anything but "traditional." The Jaguar used the same offset-waist body shape as the Jazzmaster (first introduced in about 1958) and added even more chrome across the face of the instrument, including a plethora of switch and control plates, plus a separate bridge and "floating" vibrato rig. Another "upgrade" was a removable mute - which most players immediately removed.
Dial Jaguar For Colorful Tone
Keeping with Fender trends, the Jaguar sported two single coil pickups with special metal shielding to reduce noise, plus one-of-a-kind circuitry that allowed guitar players to "dial in" the perfect lead and rhythm sound. While this added versatility, it put off some guitarists who were used to more old school switching. However, its versatility is appreciated by today's tone-conscious guitar players.
While certainly under-appreciated by guitar players when initially introduced, the Jaguar's special "Lead" and "Rhythm" circuitry are capable of producing a superb array of tone colors from crisp and clear to warm and chunky. The single coil pickups are specially designed to duplicate the one-of-a-kind sound of the original 1960s units, including the distinctive metal shielding.
The "Lead" circuit includes a two-position tone switch plus both volume and tone controls, while the "Rhythm" circuit had volume and tone controls plus its own circuit selector switch (first seen in the Fender Jazzmaster of the late 1950s). By tweaking these controls, a wider range of sounds was available than from your "typical" dual pickup guitar.
Short Scale Neck With Rosewood Fingerboard
Yet another change found in the original Jaguar was a shorter (and somewhat mellower) 24-inch scale, as opposed to the standard 25 1/2-inch scale made popular by the Stratocaster. The rosewood fretboard was another shift to attract players who might find the blond Fender necks too radical. Interestingly, the larger headstock was eventually adopted across the entire Fender line during the mid-1960s.
This particular reissue is a dead-on replica of your basic 1962 Jaguar with the rosewood capped maple neck and yes, even that whacky removable mute. In keeping with its classic, it features a nitro-cellulose lacquer finish.
Fender American Classic '62 Jaguar Features:
- Series: American Classic Series
- Colors: Olympic White
- Body: Alder
- Neck: Maple, "C" Shape, (Nitro-Cellulose Lacquer Finish)
- Fingerboard: Rosewood, 7.25" Radius
- No. of Frets: 22 Classic Style Frets
- Pickups: 2 Special Design American Classic Jaguar Single- Coil Pickups (Neck & Bridge)
- "Lead" Circuit: 2-Position Tone Switch, Volume, Tone,
- "Rhythm" Circuit: Volume, Tone, Circuit Selector Switch
- Pickup Switching: 2-On/Off Slide Switches, One for Each Pickup
- Bridge: Classic Style "Floating" Tremolo with Tremolo Lock Button
- Machine Heads: Fender/Gotoh Classic Style Tuners
- Hardware: Chrome
- Pickguard: 4-Ply Brown Shell
- SCALE: 24"
- Width at Nut 1.650"
- Strap, Cable, Meguiar's Mist and Wipe Kit
- Deluxe Brown Hard Case included