RME Sound Quality!The Hammerfall DSP MADI is RME's both inexpensive and outstanding PCI card with MADI interface. Hammerfall DSP MADI is based on the award-winning Hammerfall DSP technology, and represents the top model of this world-wide successful card line.
MADI, the professionals' multi-channel audio interface, offers 64 channels of 24 bit audio at a sample rate of up to 48 kHz and 32 channels at up to 96 kHz. Transmission is done via one line, either coaxial with BNC plugs or with fiber cable. In both cases more than 100 m cable length can be achieved. Hammerfall DSP is fully compatible to all devices with MADI interface.
Hammerfall DSP MADI offers full support for 56 and 64 channel modes and double and single wire technology (96k frame) for 96 kHz. Full 64 channel support can also be found in the hardware mixer TotalMix. All 64 ins and 64 playback channels can be routed and mixed to 64 physical outs completely freely, which translates to a 8192 channel mixer. With that, Hammerfall DSP MADI offers the most intense router/mixer ever implemented on a PCI card, and allows much more than a usage as pure computer I/O unit:
- MADI redistributor, patchbay and router
- MADI optical patchbay and router
- MADI coaxial/optical or vice versa converter and splitter
As usual with RME, Hammerfall DSP MADI offers further sensible features. For instance an analog 24 bit 192 kHz line/headphone out with 110 dB dynamic range for direct control of all in and output signals. While most MADI-based devices require an more word clock or AES line, the Hammerfall DSP MADI (like the ADI-648) uses SteadyClock™ to pull out the reference clock at lowest jitter straight from the MADI signal, making long-distance connections even more useful.
The included expansion board carries word clock I/O (BNC) and MIDI I/O. The word clock in is galvanically isolated via transformer and operates on both single and double speed signals automatically. MIDI I/O offers 2 completely independent MIDI inputs and outs via breakout cable (4 DIN sockets). A virtual MIDI port allows for a direct transmission of MIDI data over MADI.
For the first time, RME uses a configuration memory for the most important settings of the card. Instead of operating in a default mode on computer power-up until loading the driver, Hammerfall DSP MADI activates the last used sample rate, master/slave configuration and MADI format immediately when switched on. This eliminates disturbing noises and clock network problems during power-up or re-boot of the computer.
- 8 buffer sizes/latencies available: 1.5 ms, 3 ms, 6 ms, 12 ms, 23 ms, 46 ms, 93 ms, 186 ms
- ASIO zero CPU load technology: 0 (zero!)% CPU load when using ALL 128 channels!
- All settings changeable in realtime
- Clock modes slave and master
- Automatic and intelligent master/slave clock control
- Enhanced Zero Latency Monitoring for latency-free submixes and perfect ASIO Direct Monitoring
- Sync sources: MADI coaxial, MADI optical, word clock, internal
- Varipitch: by in signal or word clock
- Sample rates: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, variable (Sync/word clock)
- Sample rate range: MADI: 32 kHz - 96 kHz, word clock: 27 kHz-105 kHz
- Jitter: < 1 ns, internal and all inputs
- Jitter sensitivity: PLL operates even at 100 ns Jitter without problems
- Comes with DIGICheck: the ultimate measurement, analysis and test tool
- Input MADI optical, MADI coaxial (BNC), 2 x MIDI, word clock (BNC)
- Out MADI optical, MADI coaxial (BNC), 2 x MIDI, word clock (BNC), stereo analog line/phones
- Input word clock: BNC, Signal Adaptation Circuit (functional from 1.2 Vpp input signal), selectable termination
- Out word clock: BNC, low-impedance driver stage, 4 Vpp into 75 Ohms, short-circuit-proof
- MIDI input and output: via four 5-pin DIN jacks