Ace Sound From this Best Seller!
One of the biggest things to think about with ALL mobile gear is what the battery life is. The last thing you want is to be out catching that super-sweet sample or that change-your-life song idea... then have your supposedly trustworthy gadget die out on you, right? So, that's one BIG reason the H4n kicks. Its Stamina Mode flat-out doubles the battery life... so you can record for up to 11 hours straight. If you need to record for more than 11 hours a day, you need to get a job. Kidding! But you get what we mean — having 11 hours of recording time at CD quality (16-bit/44.1kHz) on two AA batteries means you're covered. Of course, if you plug into the wall using the included AC adapter, you don't have to worry about all that. Still, it's good to know you can go untethered and rock it out for as long as you need to be or want to be.
Another big part of the musician's life... finding time and ways to practice effectively. What makes the H4n so cool for guitarists & bassists is that you can plug right in, use the 50+ built-in guitar/bass amp models to get a good sound, then practice along with audio files you've put in the recorder. The phrase trainer features lets you slow tracks down all the way to 50% — cool for working on solos and stuff. You can also speed tracks up to 150% if you're feeling like putting your fingers through some pain. Also sweet, you can change the key of the track you're listening to — great for you cats who like to play a half step down or need to put a song into a good range for your band's singer. You've also got a built-in tuner and a metronome.
Before we jet, here's a run-through of all of the H4n's recording modes. #1 — Stereo mode... use the built-in stereo mics, variable between 90- or 120-degree patterns so you can get the right pickup for what you're recording. #2 — 4CH mode... use the onboard mics and the two external inputs (sweet way to get a stereo drum recording, a direct bass recording, and a miked guitar amp recording for your full band sound... just saying). #3 — MTR mode... record multiple tracks in multiple passes... you can overdub one or two tracks at a time. #4 — Stamina mode... we mentioned this one... record up to 11 hours, using just batteries. Nice.
Zoom H4n Portable Recorder Features at a Glance:
- Portable SD recorder
- Built-in XY stereo mics record at either 90 degrees or 120 degrees
- Four channel simultaneous recording using built-in and external mics
- Digitally controlled, high-quality mic preamp for improved audio quality
- Large 1.9-Inch LCD screen and improved user interface for easy operation
- 24-bit/96kHz Linear PCM recording for high-quality recording
- Supports MP3 recording for increased recording time
- Built-in reference speaker to check recordings
- Shock resistant rubberized body for improved chassis protection
- Broadcast Wave Format (BWF) compatible time stamp and track marker
- Records on SD/SDHC media of up to 32GB for maximum recording time
- Auto-record and pre-record feature so you never miss a moment
- Variable speed playback capability for "phrase training"
- Stamina mode enables nearly 11 hours of continuous battery life
- Onboard mid-side matrix decoder for additional miking possibilities
- Built-in mounting joint for tripod and mic stand mounting
- USB 2.0 port for faster file transfer
- XLR inputs with phantom power allow recording with any mic
- Supports plug-in power type external mics
- hi-Z Inputs for recording guitar and bass
- Studio effects onboard, including guitar and bass amp modeling
- USB audio interface capability
- Low-cut filter to reduce noise
- Normalizing and file splitting functions
- Mono mix function
- Onboard tuner and metronome
- Includes 2GB SD card, wind screen, mic clip adapter, AC adapter, USB cable, protective case, and Cubase LE recording software
- Optional remote control (RC4) available