Thick, Fat Analog Tape Sounds!Saturate and enhance your sound with analog richness! If you work on HD recorders, DAT's, CDR's, or any other digital medium, the Empirical Labs FATSO Jr. is exactly what you've been waiting for to fatten up your digital. This two channel Full Analog Tape Simulator/Optimizer (FATSO) with Knee Compressor simulates classic recording elements like older tube gear, magnetic tape, and more, giving your sound a richness, depth and immediacy that's hard to get with pure digital. Both of FATSO Jr.'s channels offer four types of processing. You get Harmonic Generation and Soft Clipper (Distortion generation), High Frequency Saturation, Transformer & Tape Head Emulation, and Classic Knee Compression. Best of all, the FATSO is a fully modern, digitally-controlled processor, so you get that analog tape sound without having to mess around with a genuine analog recorder. FATSO Jr.'s operation is subtle; you won't hear this machine at work. All you'll hear is amazing sound.
Empirical Labs FATSO Jr. Features:
- Four compression modes - One for tracking, one general purpose, one "bus" compressor, and SPANK (see below). All LINKABLE!
- User programmable high frequency saturation
- Massive "DISTRESSOR" knobs with high resolution numbering
- Soft clip features modeled after broadband tape saturation. Smooth clipping up to 20% THD
- Selectable transformer circuits, which can add the musical artifacts generated by classic devices like NEVE, API, etc.
- SPANK!- An more limiter that musically smashes the dynamic range, and can be used to stop clipping before digital recorders
- Sidechain out and input for eq-ing control signals.
- True bypass
- Distortion indicator lights - A 0 VU LED and a "Pinned" (5%) LED
- Selectable 110/220 volt operation
- Locked, calibrated, out level - Allows speed in setting tape and live mix levels.
- Foolproof operation - it's almost impossible to get a bad sound
- Discrete and integrated combination - the best of speed/linearity with repeatability. Hand tested & selected parts