The Audiophile's Choice!The Benchmark DAC1 USB digital-to-analog converter adds another level of performance to an already world-beating product, the DAC1! Adding USB capability, the DAC1 USB offers pristine D-A conversion, plus all the "little" features that add up to a lot, such as programmable mute function and headphone gain, automatic standby/resume, and an out stage that's designed to drive long cable runs and low-impedence loads. The heralded UltraLock clock rig is also included on the DAC1 USB D-A converter.
Benchmark DAC1 USB D-A Converter at a Glance:
- An all-purpose D-A converter
- USB functionality
- Error display, Standby/Resume mode
- UltraLock for ultra-low jitter
An all-purpose D/A converter
The DAC1 USB is designed for max transparency and is well suited for critical playback in studio control rooms, mastering rooms, and high-end audiophile jobs. Benchmark's Cutting-edge USB Audio interface makes the DAC1 an ideal primary output device for digital audio workstations, desktop audio editing jobs, computer-based media playback, home media servers, and computer-based radio broadcast systems. The rugged and small rackmountable design makes the DAC1 USB an excellent choice for location recording, broadcast facilities, and mobile trucks.
The USB in is compatible with Windows Vista/XP/2000 and Mac OS X, and does not require driver installation or rig configuration. Unlike all previous driverless USB audio interfaces, Benchmark's Cutting-edge USB Audio technology supports sample rates up to 96kHz and word lengths up to 24-bits. The DAC1 USB is a true plug-and-play solution, and is designed to begin playback immediately after the unit is connected to a USB port for the first time.
UltraLock for ultra-low jitter
The Benchmark UltraLock Rig is nearly 100% jitter-immune. The D/A conversion clock is totally isolated from the in digital audio clock in a topology that outperforms two-stage PLL designs. In fact, no jitter-induced artifacts can be detected using an Audio Precision System 2 Cascade test set. Any signal that can be decoded by the USB or AES/EBU receivers will be reproduced without the addition of any measurable jitter artifacts. The AES/EBU receiver IC has been selected for its ability to accurately recover data in the presence of totally high jitter levels.
Error display, Standby/Resume mode
When the selected digital in signal is disconnected, incompatible, or drops out, the In Selection Status LEDs will flash indicating a signal error. This flashing will stop when the error is corrected. If the error persists for more than 15 seconds, the DAC1 USB will enter 'Standby Mode'. This mode eliminates the need to turn the converter on and off. 'Standby Mode' starts 15 seconds after a digital source device is turned off, disconnected, or contains errors that prevent D/A conversion. All LED's are off while in standby mode. While in 'Standby Mode', the DAC1 USB continues to monitor the selected digital in and will immediately resume normal operation when an error-free signal is restored.
Benchmark DAC1 USB D-A Converter Features:
- USB, XLR balanced, BNC coaxial, and TOSlink optical digital inputs
- Compatible with Windows Vista/XP/2000 and Mac OS X without driver installation
- Elected low-impedance 10, 20, or 30dB pads on balanced outputs
- Jumper-selected low-impedance 10, 20, or 30dB pads on balanced outputs
- -10 dBV unbalanced RCA analog outputs, +13.5 dBu max output level
- Two HPA2 high-current, 0-ohm, high-output 1/4" headphone outputs
- HPA2 gain jumpers to match gain to headphone sensitivity
- Front-panel volume control for headphone outputs
- Front-panel volume control of all analog outs (in Variable mode)
- Rear-panel Variable/Calibrated mode switch enables volume control of analog outputs
- Rear-panel Variable/Calibrated mode switch includes a mute position
- In Calibrated mode, levels are set by 10-turn trimmers (20dB range, 2dB/turn)
- XLR outs are preset to +4dBu at 0 dBFS in Calibrated mode (20dB pad enabled)
- RCA outs are preset to +2 Vrms (8.2 dBu) at 0 dBFS in Calibrated mode
- Headphone jack 1 mutes XLR and RCA outputs (feature may be disabled)
- Benchmark's phase-accurate UltraLock technology for total jitter immunity
- Status LEDs display in selection and error conditions
- Automatic Standby Mode activated after 15 seconds of loss of digital input signal
- Instant wake-up from Standby Mode - no loss of audio
- THD+N = -107dB, 0.00045% @ -3 dBFS input, -105dB, 0.00056% @ 0 dBFS input
- Automatic de-emphasis in response to consumer pre-emphasis bit (44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96kHz)
- Reliable and consistent performance under adverse operating conditions
- 115V, 230V, 50-60Hz international power supply with completely wide operating range
- Low-radiation toroidal power transformer significantly reduces hum and line related interference
- Low power consumption (8W typical program, 16W peak)