Your Ticket to The Wonderful World of Martin!This well-established and innovative solid wood 16-Series was originally conceived and developed as an experiment to deliver better sound at a lower cost by using a special combination of Martin's proprietary bracing systems. The 16-Series with its "Hybrid" X-bracing has now become a longtime Martin favorite. Other features for the 16-Series include solid wood top, back and sides and a patented neck mortise.
Martin D-16GT Acoustic Guitar at a Glance:
- Mahogany back and sides
- Dreadnought size for one of the biggest voices around
- Sitka spruce top
"D" for dreadnought
The famous Martin dreadnought, with its "D" designation, is without a doubt the most popular size steel-string flat-top guitar. Nearly 16 inches wide and five inches deep, the "D' is Martin's largest body and one of the biggest voices in the acoustic guitar world.
Sitka spruce top
The D-16GT's top is crafted of Sitka spruce. Its high stiffness combined with the lightweight characteristics of most softwoods, makes it a natural for a high velocity of sound. A bulletproof fundamental-to-overtone ratio sports Sitka spruce a strong direct tone capable of retaining its clarity when played forcefully. This makes Sitka an excellent choice for top wood for players whose style demands a wide dynamic response and a robust, meaty tone.
Mahogany back and sides
When used for back and sides, mahogany has relatively high velocity of sound, which contributes overtone coloration. While rosewood guitars may be thought of has having a metallic sound, the D-16GT's mahogany back and sides sound more wood-like.
Martin D-16GT Features:
- BODY STYLE: D-14 Fret
- Top: Solid Sitka Spruce
- Rosette: Bold Herringbone
- Back: Solid Genuine Mahogany
- Sides: Solid Genuine Mahogany
- Endpiece: Black Boltaron
- Binding: Black Boltaron
- Neck: Solid Spanish Cedar
- Neck Shape: Modified Low Oval
- Headstock: Solid/6 String No Diamond/Standard Taper
- Headplate: Solid East Indian Rosewood /Gold Foil Logo
- Heelcap: Solid East Indian Rosewood
- Fingerboard: Black Micarta
- SCALE: 25.4"
- Number of Total Frets: 20
- Finish Back and Sides: Satin, Light Mahogany Stain
- Finish Top: Polished Gloss
- Finish Neck: Semi Gloss/ Light Red Mahogany Stain/ Dark Filler
- Bridge: Black Micarta
- Saddle: Compensated White Tusq
- TUNERS: Chrome w/ Small Knobs
- Case: 345 Hard Shell