Get a Piece of Music History!If you want to talk about classic gear, API is going to come up in conversation. It just will. Those consoles, those classic tones... it just doesn't get much better than that. But in a little way, it totally does. Because those old consoles go for a kind of dollar most people are never gonna have around, and they take up space like you're never gonna have around, and you're going to need some tech wizard keeping it working - so good luck there, right? But you can get essentially four channels of that console mic preamplification straight from the API 3124MB+. That's a lot of console sound, without the console price tag.
So to dive into the nitty gritty, the API 3124MB+ features the same microphone preamp circuit used in all API consoles. This pre sounds amazing! And apart from the four XLR connectors for your microphones on the back, you've got a convenient instrument input on the front panel for making your guitar or bass sound golden - even when plugged directly in. Whatever you plug into the API 3124MB+, you're going to be greeted with classic... dare we say it, legendary... sound. Really, doesn't matter if you're a pro engineer or brand new to recording. You can't make this preamp sound bad. So if you're looking for a sonically bulletproof mic preamp for your studio, this is the pick. Dripping with history. Sounds phenomenal. 10 thumbs up.
API 3124MB+ 4-channel Microphone/Instrument Preamplifier Features at a Glance:
- Uses API 2520 Op-amp
- Classic Console Circuit
- Four XLR Mic Inputs
- Four 1/4" Unbalanced Inputs
- Front Panel Polarity Switch
- Front Panel 20dB PadSwitch
- Front Panel Mic/Line Switch
- Front Panel 48V Power Switch
- Output Clips at +30dBm
- Input Impedance: 1500 Ohms Mic, 470 K Ohms Unbalanced, hi-Z in
- Output Impedance: Less than 75 Ohms Channel Outputs
- Nominal Levels: XLR Channel Output +4dBu
- Stereo Output Level: Unbalanced: nominal -2, Balanced: +4
- Clipping Level: XLR Channel Output better than +28dBm
- Frequency Response: +0, -5, 10Hz to 20kHz (-.5 at 10Hz)
- Noise EIN:-129 Mic, -125 Un-Bal. Actual
- Measured Noise:Better than -91dBm/below Nominal +4.
- Distortion:All Outputs at +4 out, .03%, at +22, .09% Max
- Gain Range:150 Ohms Input 10dB Min., 65dB Max (inc. PAD). Un-Bal. Input 14dB Min., 50dB Max
- VU Meter:Calibrated for XLR Outputs, OVU=+4dBu, (-12, -6, -3, 0, +3, +6, +18)
- Controls:GAIN, PAD (20dB), 48Volts, POL (polarity), MIC (mic/un-ba;), VU, AC
- Dimensions:19" x 1U x 8"
- Weight: 9 lbs.