An Interface Your Pro Studio Can Grow Around!Lots of audio interfaces look cool when you're first starting out, but what about down the road a little, when you find yourself needing a bigger and more flexible system? That's where most recording systems fall apart, and you suddenly find yourself spending a lot of money on a newer, bigger system while stuck trying to sell the old one for a pittance on eBay. Don't let that be you! When you get a MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid, you don't get just any an audio interface — you get a core system you can count on for years and years to come. AND it offers both FireWire and USB connectivity so it'll work on practically any computer around. Think about it, it's the 828mk3! That's three generations of being one of the top recording devices out there, and three generations of improvements to make sure you get exactly what you need. Here's why...
The MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid is all about giving you exactly what you need at the very heart of your system. In a single rack space, the 828mk3 Hybrid packs 28 inputs and 30 outputs — that's way more than most professional studios had back in the day when hit records were being cut on a weekly basis. Here's what you get in the 828mk3 Hybrid: a pair of top-quality mic pres plus eight more line ins for 10 channels of analog recording and playback, as well as 16 channels of ADAT I/O and two more of S/PDIF I/O. You also get TOSLink capability, word clock I/O, and SMPTE synchronization, just for good measure.
All of this hooks up to your computer via FireWire or USB. But that's just the very beginning. You see, built into the 828mk3 Hybrid is a massively powerful digital mixing and effects engine. That's channel after channel of pro-quality EQs, compression (including a British-style model and a fantastic LA-2A model), reverbs, and more — all of which don't tax your computer even a little or cause the least bit of latency. In fact, you don't even need your computer to use them! The 828mk3 Hybrid works just fine as a standalone mixer with effects and processing. That's a real bonus if you want to use the same system to practice with that you use for recording. Now, just try saying that about the next interface!
Let talk expansion — and man does the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid have it in spades! This baby's got two ADAT inputs, that's twice the ADAT I/O of even other fairly high-end interfaces. What that means is that when you're ready to record entire bands, you can hook up two of any number of inexpensive ADAT-armed 8-channel mic preamps, such as the MOTU 8pre. Another way you can expand the 828mk3 Hybrid with any other MOTU FireWire interface is by simply daisy chaining their FireWire ports. If you plug an 8pre directly into your 828mk3 Hybrid's second FireWire port, it shows up right inside CueMix FX, MOTU's software mixer, allowing you to manage both as a single unit in your computer. Talk about flexibility — the expansion possibilities are endless!
When you record, CueMix FX manages the 828mk3 Hybrid's built in hardware effects, processing, and routing (including routing via ADAT light pipe, integrating any external preamps directly into the 828mk3 Hybrid's hardware mixing function) right inside your computer. Like programming the 828mk3 Hybrid from the front panel, the 828mk3 Hybrid still does all of the work, leaving your computer's CPU free for more important tasks. And with CueMix FX, you've got even more routing power than ever before. Add reverb to vocals and record only the wet track while sending the reverb to the headphones. Or track bass with and without compression simultaneously, just in case you overdo it and lose the transients. When you add in the 828mk3 Hybrid's V-Limit and Soft Clip functions, signals can peak as high as +12dB above zero and you'll never hear digital clipping. That means you never have to worry about tracking problems again. Expandable, controllable, and reliable... what's not to love about the 828mk3 Hybrid?
MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid FireWire and USB Interface Features at a Glance:
- 28 inputs and 30 outputs (at 44.¼8kHz)
- CueMix FX manages 28 input/16 bus mixer with on-board DSP effects
- CueMix FX includes reverb with sends/returns, plus EQ and compression on every input and output
- Access any setting in your entire 828mk3 mix directly from the front panel
- Stand-alone functionality
- Multiple CueMix FX mixes
- 2 front panel combo jacks provide hi-Z ¼" guitar input or low-Z XLR mic input with phantom power
- Mic/guitar instrument sends-add analog outboard effects to the 2 mic/guitar inputs
- Mic/guitar input limiter prevents digital clipping and distortion from overloaded signal levels
- 8 24-bit/192kHz analog inputs and outputs on balanced/unbalanced ¼" TRS jacks
- 16 channels of ADAT lightpipe, 8 channels of SMUX (96kHz) or 2 pairs of stereo TOSLink
- Sample-accurate MIDI
- Expandable-add additional interfaces for more I/O as your needs grow
- Separate XLR main outs and front-panel headphone jacks, each with independent volume control
- Stereo 24-bit 96kHz S/PDIF in/out
- Word clock in and out
- SMPTE in and out
- Includes drivers for Mac & PC, including ASIO, WDM, Wave, GSIF, Core Audio, and Core MIDI
- Supports all popular Macintosh and Windows audio software
- 100% compatible with all host-based effects processing in today's popular audio programs.
- Includes AudioDesk software for the Mac
- Plug-and-play operation with your Mac or PC via FireWire
- Front panel volume control for monitoring
- Monitor in stereo, quad, 6.1, 7.1, plus user-defined surround monitoring setups
- 2 front panel headphone jacks with independent volume controls
- LED metering for all analog, digital and MIDI I/O, plus SMPTE sync tach and lock LEDs
- Dedicated front panel clock status LEDs