Classic Compression with Modern Perks!The Lindell 17XS MkII compressor is an unabashed take on the classic "1176" FET-based peak limiter that delivers vintage sound a ton of great tone-shaping options. The first thing you'll notice when you start to use your 17XS MkII is how easy it is to dial in. That's because, unlike many similar compressors, the 17XS MkII features a series of 5-way blade selector switches, rather than continuously variable knobs. With simple controls for attack time, release time, ratio, and even the onboard highpass sidechain filter, both establishing and recalling your settings is incredibly easy.
Ever want to crush your kick-drum sound without losing it in the mix? With the Lindell 17XS MkII, that's no problem at all. Thanks to the 17XS MkII compressor's variable mix control, you can go absolutely crazy with your compression and still blend in as much of the original sound as you like, preserving your transients. This method of parallel compression is widely used throughout the music world, beefing up tracks on everything from mainstream pop country to viking folk metal records.
Another cool thing about the 17XS MkII is its highpass sidechain filter. By rolling off the the frequency that the compression circuit hears (not the actual output) you can keep the 17XS MkII from responding to booming background bass. That's a real lifesaver when it comes to punching up snare drums in less-than-ideally isolated tracks. If you do want to roll off some highs or lows, you'll be happy to find a pair of bypassable filters onboard. And speaking of bypassing, Lindell also hooked the 17XS MkII up with true-bypass switching, so you can toss it in and out of the mix, without tarnishing your tone.
Lindell 17XS FET Compressor/Limiter Features:
- A flexible compressor/limiter you can use live or in the studio
- FET-based dynamics that sound eerily reminiscent of classic compressors from the late '60s
- Variable mix control lets you blend compressed and uncompressed signal in parallel for maximum compression without losing transients
- Highpass sidechain filter (Off, 100Hz, 200Hz, 300Hz, 600Hz) lets you keep boomy lows from throwing off your dynamics control
- 5-step switches for attack, release, ratio, and highpass sidechain filtering let you tune your dynamics quickly and recall your settings quickly
- Signal highpass (6dB/octave at 12kHz) and lowpass (6dB/octave at 80Hz) let you shape your overall sound
- Attack times range from 20ms-800ms and release times range from 50ms-0.8sec for a wide range of effects
- Analog VU metering lets you keep an eye on your loudness, not just your volume
- True-bypass hardware preserves your sound when bypassed